Practical Information

Studying in Denmark and living in Copenhagen requires international students to get a residence permit, CPR number and to find accommodation. We've gathered an overview of the essential practical information when moving to Copenhagen, Denmark.

149133062 (1).jpg
149133062 (1).jpg

Residence Permit


Before arriving in Denmark, all non-EU citizens must apply for a Danish residence permit. Please note that this can be a long process (usually over 3 months), so apply well in advance. Within one week of receipt of your first semester fee, the DMU Programmes Office will send you our institutionally signed ST1 Residence Permit application form, which you will need for your application.
You may find additional information about application requirements and the application process at New to Denmark - the official portal for foreigners.

  • Disclaimer: Student visas may not cover the full period of study in the years where individual DMU programmes are being re-evaluated by EVA. Therefore, students must apply for a visa extension covering the period of study exceeding the current EVA approval.
  • Upcoming EVA Evaluations: MSc. International Business and Management: April 2019

CPR Number

When you arrive in Denmark, you need to register your Danish address with the municipality in order to get a Danish social security number (CPR number) and a yellow health card. According to Danish Law you have to do this within 5 days of your arrival in Denmark.
You use your CPR number for most official purposes, such as dealing with public or health authorities, opening a bank account or mobile phone account and using the public libraries. Once you have registered, you will be entitled to free emergency medical treatment at your general practitioner and in public hospitals.


As students of the DMU programmes at Niels Brock, you will use a variety of IT platforms.
You can find further information about these platforms, printing, wi-fi and student cards here.



The housing situation in Copenhagen is very difficult and it takes some time and effort to secure your accommodation. Please start looking for accommodation some time before going on exchange in Copenhagen.

We advise you to budget with a rent from DKK 3.500 to DKK 4.500 per month depending on location and standard. A deposit is required from most landlords and is normally 1 month's rent for a room and 3 months’ rent for an apartment.

Please be aware of scams and be wary of deals that are "too good to be true". Watch out for landlords/owners who are out of the country, travelling or cannot meet you personally. If possible, check out the room or apartment personally.

You can also check with a Niels Brock Buddy whether they can help you check the room. Use the Facebook forum created for your semester. You should at least have someone check that the apartment actually exists.
You should never send money via Western Union or other private money transfer institutions. Use only authorized banks for transferring money and ask the landlord to send identification details – e.g. a copy of a passport. You should always sign a contract with your landlord. Study the contract carefully and be sure to check deadlines for how to give notice.


1. Hedorfs Kollegium, Preben Kaas Vænge 5R, 2000 Frederiksberg. 
Apply here.

2. For temporary accommodation, it is possible to book a room at a youth hostel in central Copenhagen (approx. 20 Euro per night in a shared room). Check Danhostel or Generator Hostel for a room at a Bed & Breakfast or for cheap hotel room.

3. These websites with accommodation possibilities are in English:

4. These websites are in Danish but may still be helpful:

5. Learn more about your rights and obligations in relation to the rent act here (in Danish):


If you have any questions about getting your residence permit, your CPR number or accommodation, you can contact us at: